can wasabi kill you?

What Happens To Your Body When You Eat Wasabi

Can Wasabi Kill You? (How Much? Explained!)

Yes, you can technically overdose on wasabi, but it would be very difficult to do so. As we mentioned before, the active ingredient in wasabi is allyl isothiocyanate (AITC), and according to the National Institute of Health, the lethal dose for humans is estimated to be somewhere around 100 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.

Don’t attempt to treat yourself for a possible wasabi allergy as that could make things worse. If you experience any of these symptoms after eating Japanese food, see a doctor as soon as possible so they can pinpoint what exactly is causing the negative reaction—which could mean avoiding more than just wasabi-containing dishes.

In fact, wasabi has some great health benefits! Not only does eating wasabi help kill bacteria in your mouth and throat (including those that can cause bad breath), but it also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and may decrease blood clotting. However, overdoing it may lead to some mild gastrointestinal problems like gas or bloating.

So how much would you have to eat for wasabi to become deadly? For wasabi poisoning to occur, a human would have to consume about 20 pounds of the green stuff in one sitting—easily more than anyone on Earth could stomach at once. (And by the way, this holds true for just about all hot sauce and spicy foods.)

So, to sum up: you can eat as much wasabi as you want, and, unless you have an allergy, the worst that will happen is some irritated skin around your mouth. Wasabi isn’t toxic, it’s not going to kill you, and it’s even healthy as it contains antioxidants. Just don’t go too crazy with it!

Leave a Comment