When Mojang released Minecraft Bedrock Edition for gaming consoles like the Nintendo Switch, they made the wise choice to limit the number of public servers that players could connect to. This is great for protecting children when they’re playing online. This is not ideal, though, if someone wants to play with friends on a server that is not on the list of permitted servers (for more information, see this). How can we then get the Switch to let us play on a different server?
The possibility of cross-play is one of the biggest benefits of playing on Bedrock or a Java server with Geyser. From any console, Bedrock players can connect to any server running GeyserMC or Bedrock Edition. Most players already know this from playing on PC and Pocket Edition, but there are a few extra steps needed to join from a Switch or Xbox. Here is a detailed explanation of how to connect to a Bedrock server on Xbox and Switch so you can play online with your friends.
How to add a Minecraft Server on Xbox:
Joining on Xbox Requires you to change your connection settings. By doing this, you’ll get a new menu to add a new server from the game’s server page. Other games’ online play shouldn’t be impacted by these settings, but you can always change them back if you’d like.
- Open your Xbox settings and select the Network Settings option.
- Go to Advanced Settings and choose the DNS Settings option.
- You will be directed to a screen where you can manually enter your DNS settings after selecting Manual.
- For the Primary IPv4 DNS enter:
- For the Secondary enter either:
- After you save the changes, the console will test your connection.
How to add a Minecraft Server on Nintendo Switch:
Setting up on Xbox and joining from a Switch are essentially the same processes. You can employ the same default settings as those used for Xbox setup. The same menu will appear for you to join new game servers as well. Other games’ online play shouldn’t be impacted by these settings, but you can always change them back if you’d like.
- Go to System Settings and select the Internet option by scrolling down.
- Select your current network by clicking Change Settings after selecting the Internet Settings option.
- Change the DNS Settings to Manual by scrolling down.
- For the Primary DNS enter:
- For the Secondary enter either:
- Save the changes and you are ready to go.
Joining the game:
You can start the game once you’ve saved your connection settings. From there, regardless of the console you are using, the procedure to join a server is the same.
- Click on Play and go to the Servers tab
- Click on any of the pre-added servers on the list
- You will see a new menu when you attempt to join the server.
- At the top of the screen, select the Connect to a Server option.
- Enter the server’s address and port in this field.
- To add it to your list, select “add to server list,” then click “Submit.”
Unable to connect to world: Bedrock servers frequently experience this unfortunate problem. Although there aren’t many surefire solutions to this problem, here are our suggestions:
- Restart your console
- Restart your server
- Ensure that the server and your game/console are both fully updated.
- Make sure the plugin is installed and properly configured in the most recent version if you are using Geyser with a Java server. Ensure that Floodgate and ViaVersion are also set up on the server.
- Change your secondary DNS from 8. 8. 8. 8 to 1. 1. 1. 1 or vice versa.
If the menu to add servers doesn’t show up, change your secondary DNS to 8 8. 8. 8 to 1. 1. 1. 1 or vice versa. Most of the time, switching will enable the menu to appear as usual.
Wow, this server is popular. This error typically indicates that there are too many users on the server or that there are too many simultaneous connection attempts. However, if you think you are receiving this in error, the quickest and simplest fix is to either wait a short while or simply restart the server. Once the server is operational again or stops receiving so many simultaneous connection attempts, the issue will be resolved.
If you have your server’s player cap set to a low number, such as 2 or 3, you should also think about increasing it from the control panel. This indicates that the server’s whitelist is active because you are not invited to use it. To be added to the whitelist or to completely disable the server, you must speak with the owner. We have a manual available that explains how whitelisting functions and how it can be turned on or off.
Please be aware that when adding players to the whitelist on a Java server using Geyser, you must precede their names with a *. Ex: /whitelist add *iVestri instead of just /whitelist add iVestri.
Start Your Minecraft Server
Start your own Minecraft server in five minutes and begin utilizing these fantastic features.
Start Your Game Server Today
With the click of a button, you can quickly and easily get your games like ARK, Rust, Project Zomboid, Valheim, and many others installed and ready to play.
How to Join Servers on Nintendo Switch (Minecraft Bedrock)
How do I join a Nintendo server on a switch?
There are a few things you can try if you’re having trouble connecting to a Minecraft server: Restart your device Try connecting with a wireless connection if you’re on a wired connection, and vice versa. Try connecting with another network connection if possible.
Why can’t I connect to my friends Minecraft server switch?
How do I connect to Minecraft servers? Click “play” on the home screen to access a list of available worlds. Switch to the ‘servers’ tab by hitting L or R. Browse the hand-picked list of the most well-liked servers and games that are currently available. Enter whichever one you fancy!.