As of February 2017, Minecraft was the second-most popular video game in the world, with over 121 million copies sold.
Launching your own private Minecraft server is an additional option if you’re interested in getting the full Minecraft experience. You are free to design your own Minecraft world when using a private server.
We’re going to demonstrate how to do that in this article. On this page, we’ll examine how to create a Minecraft server using a Windows computer, a Mac, and a Linux hosting package. Please be aware that the prices in this article are accurate as of publication. Parents, if you’re looking for family-friendly projects, consider making your own family website using
- In Minecraft, click “Multiplayer.”
- Click “Add Server.”
- Enter a server name.
- Enter the server address. This will be your external IP followed by the port number: 25565 This will look like the address in the image on the right. …
- Click Done.
What is a Minecraft server?
A server is a platform that combines hardware and software to let administrators and developers run their websites, intricate applications, and virtual online worlds.
In essence, it’s a powerful computer that was remotely launched on one of the hundreds of data centers located all over the world. It operates on specialized software that enables multiple users to access the web services or gaming worlds stored on its hard drive and is always online.
Minecraft servers are more targeted. Technically, they are not all that dissimilar from VDS or dedicated servers. The real difference is in the software that they run.
These specialized servers are designed to build distinctive Minecraft worlds online, enabling players to interact, change the game’s rules, and play together.
Why do you need your own Minecraft server?
It makes sense to want your own set of rules when making your own Minecraft world. Having Minecraft on your own personal Minecraft Multiplayer server is the most effective way to do this. You have complete control over how it is set up, who you invite to play, and what you change at any time.
Having your own personal Minecraft Multiplayer server allows you to have control over a variety of game-related aspects, including:
- changing aspects of the vanilla Minecraft world, such as the creatures that live there, the resources it has, etc.
- supplying players with unique sets of readily available materials for crafting
- selecting the most practical method for an administrator or game master to build and run a virtual Minecraft realm
- Having the opportunity to make money from your Minecraft server.
- playing solely with your closest friends, unintimidated by outsiders
- Building your very own private and cozy Minecraft world.
If you find the aforementioned to be a lot of fun, you should think about setting up your own private server.
How to play Minecraft online
Although you can enjoy playing Minecraft alone, it’s even more fun when you invite friends over or join them. That is why so many Minecraft players are interested in learning how to play the game online effectively. And that’s why you need a server.
We will walk you through various methods for setting up Minecraft servers, demonstrating the best way to do so, outlining how to play with friends for free and pointing out some excellent Minecraft servers (with fun mods) that are already available.
How to make a server in Minecraft using Realms
Project Realms was developed by the makers of Minecraft, Mojang, in cooperation with Microsoft. A Realm is an individual Minecraft server. It’s a great way to play Minecraft officially, and you can make it as distinctive or ordinary as you like.
You only need to sign up for Realms Plus to get started. With the help of this service from Microsoft, you can set up a private realm on its servers where you can play with up to ten friends.
With the Realms service, you can play Minecraft online safely and securely without worrying about software configuration, game client updates, data backups, etc.
However, it comes with two major drawbacks:
- You must pay to play and use a licensed version of Minecraft.
- You have to deal with Microsoft’s restrictions. No cheats, no mods, no custom rules or plugins.
Realms is not for you if you truly want to have your own unique experience without any limitations. But don’t worry. There are numerous additional options for you to consider below.
How to create your own Minecraft server
The first thing you must do is download the appropriate Minecraft server. There are two server types:
- Vanilla. That is how the game’s creators have traditionally implemented the Minecraft server. It has limitations on modes and plugins, just like Realms, but you can still design a more personalized and distinctive experience and save all the data on your computer or a dedicated server.
- Bukkit. With the help of third-party modders and Minecraft fans, this project was started by enthusiasts who wanted to explore the game’s limitless potential without being constrained by Microsoft.
These two servers are both accessible online and are free to download.
Vanilla is available on the official Minecraft website. To work with it, you must download Minecraft Server and launch it via the Java command-line interface.
- Download and install Java
- Open the command prompt of your operating system
- For Windows, click the Start button, type cmd, and the Command Prompt window will appear in the list.
- For MacOS, launch Spotlight by pressing Command and space, type Terminal, and then double-click the search result.
- Linux: press Ctrl+Alt+t keys at the same time
- java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraftserver.1.17.1.jar nogui
Your server is now up.
The next step is to set up your server and figure out how to connect to it. The procedure depends on the type of hosting you’ve selected.
To create a Bukkit-server, you’ll need to download Forge and install it. Once it has downloaded, you’ll need to launch it and set up the parameters of the server.
Where to host your server
Your server needs a home in order to be reachable.
If you have downloaded a server and run it on your computer, it will only be accessible while it is running on your computer. Close the command line while the Minecraft server is running or simply turn off the computer to put an end to your customized Minecraft world.
Therefore, you require a computer that is always online and available to the players.
To do this, you can hire a dedicated server from a general hosting company and host your game world on it.
Once you have remote access to your rented server:
- Download your chosen Minecraft server onto it
- Use the Java command java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraftserver to launch the server. 1. 17. 1. jar nogui.
- Configure your connection’s parameters, look up the IP address and connection ports, etc.
We agree that it takes some effort to set up your own Minecraft multiplayer server, despite the fact that this is a very popular method for doing so.
So let’s look at some other solutions.
How to host a Minecraft server for free
Making and setting up a free Minecraft server is essentially the same as doing so for the premium version.
Finding a free hosting service that will let you store your data on its hardware must come first. This isn’t exactly simple because few people enjoy giving away their property to others.
Additionally, you’ll be compelled to use an unofficial, third-party Minecraft server application. The same is true for the game client, as there is no way to bypass this and the original game is not free.
If you’re okay with everything stated above, all you have to do is download the Bukkit-server and run it on your free hosting account using the Forge Minecraft server app. The process is the same as what we described earlier for non-free options.
Why you shouldn’t host your server for free
Yes, you can host your Minecraft server for free. But we would strongly advise against doing so.
- Free hosting providers are typically slow and unreliable. Free hosting would undoubtedly ruin the entire experience with its subpar performance; don’t you want your virtual world to be active and vibrant at all times?
- The provider has no obligation to you if you don’t pay them. Therefore, there is nothing you can do to stop them if they ever decide to shut down your virtual world without your consent.
- Free hosting providers still need to pay the bills. This means that they might put ads on your website or even in your gaming chat. This can be very annoying to say the least. Additionally, some of the advertisements that are shown may not be appropriate for the age of the minors who are playing on your server, which could get you into trouble.
- Your personal data will be sold by free hosting providers as another revenue stream. Although not all of them do it, are you really willing to run the risk?
- The hardware restrictions of free hosting will limit you dramatically. You will be severely constrained in how many materials, structures, and NPCs you can add, and you won’t be able to invite as many friends as you would like to play.
A free server will only leave you disappointed if you wanted to start your own Minecraft server to have unrestricted creative freedom and a dependable platform.
Luckily, there’s another option you can use.
Get your virtual machine in just 55 seconds if you’re ready to try. Try now.
The best way to host your Minecraft server
You can use a hosting platform like Hostman in place of troublesome and perplexing dedicated servers.
You can deploy a ton of software products on Hostman with just one click thanks to its marketplace. This includes Minecraft servers. You can easily create your own private server with just a few clicks, avoiding some of Microsoft’s restrictions.
- Visit the Hostman Marketplace
- Choose Minecraft server
- Click on the Deploy button
Now that your personal instance of the virtual world of Minecraft is supported by a dependable and quick hardware platform, you can begin to enjoy it.
You can find everything you need for a high-performance Minecraft server installation that provides some freedom and is affordable right here.
How to connect to your Minecraft server
The usual method of connecting to your virtual Minecraft worlds is through the game client:
- Open the game.
- Go to the Multiplayer menu.
- Choose the Direct Connect option.
- Type the IP address of the server.
You should connect to the server located at the specified address in a few seconds.
But what’s the Minecraft server’s address?
The IP address of the server is the same as the IP address of the PC itself if the server is operational on your local machine. Use a site like Speedtest to find out your IP address. If you use remote hosting, the service provider’s control panel will show you the IP address.
Popular ready-made Minecraft servers
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to view the Minecraft server list if you use a third-party client for the game. For Minecraft, there are numerous pre-made maps and servers available, each with their own set of guidelines and distinctive gameplay elements.
Here is a list of some well-known, pre-made Minecraft servers that you can use. There is a brief description for each one that we’ve added, but if you want to learn more, there is a ton more information available.
One of the best Minecraft servers. This is a fantastic map for those of you who want to add some Call of Duty flavor to the traditional building and survival game. Brawl turns Minecraft into a shooter with different game modes.
Fans of older online role-playing games, such as Runescape, will love this setup. These servers accurately mimic that game and do so well. Explore dungeons, kill monsters, find artifacts, etc.
This map imitates the game called “Among Us”. The widely used Among Us Performium gives users a fresh and intriguing way to experience the game’s distinctive gameplay.
Best Minecraft survival servers
At its core, Minecraft is a survival game. However, if you’re a die-hard survivalist, you’ll adore the extra challenge and realism that these servers offer.
An interesting alternative to classic GTA games. The atmosphere and features are present, though it won’t be as visually appealing as the original game. You can purchase a home, obtain weapons, and engage in gun battles with law enforcement. A true GTA experience.
This one is ideal for those seeking an additional dose of adrenaline. Tons of griefers and different monsters on this map. Your only task is to survive as long as possible.
Best Minecraft parkour servers
It makes sense that parkour has made its way into Minecraft given how popular it has become. In order to move from point A to point B in these difficult Minecraft worlds, you must jump over cubes. These servers are known as parkour servers, and playing on them is a ton of fun.
The children’s game “the floor is lava” served as the inspiration for this Minecraft world. Concrete platforms floating over a tremendous amount of lava. Your goal is to escape this hell as quickly as you can (without getting obliterated by a volcano, of course).
Great server and map with different modes. One of the best features of MANACUBE is SkyBlocks. You must use the impressive number of blocks hovering in midair to get from point A to point B. This is the best Minecraft server with skyblocks if you’re wondering what is.
Best Minecraft prison servers
Jail in real life isn’t fun. Here are some prison-themed servers to satisfy your inner escape artist, though, because it can be a lot of fun in Minecraft.
One of the most widely used and biggest servers online is one that offers prison mode. It has a historical setting and a light pirate theme. Prepare to invade your adversary’s vessel and engage in unlimited plundering.
One of the oldest prison servers. This one is all about life in prison. You’ll need to become knowledgeable about every aspect of surviving in a prison, taking part in significant gang fights, etc.
Many players come together on the hugely popular gaming platform known as Minecraft servers for tons of fun. Create a public server to invite players from all over the world and earn money by offering special features that aren’t found anywhere else, or a private one to play only with your friends.
Regardless of your route, Hostman is the best place to host your server.
You almost have everything set up and ready to go—just click the Deploy button. For the first seven days, Hostman is free to try out. And if you enjoy it—which we hope you will—it only costs $19 per month.
$19/month is a small price to pay for total freedom and limitless fun when shared among friends:-)
Set up your Minecraft server with Hostman today.
Like this article? Spread the word.
How to Make a Minecraft Server 1.19 – (Play Minecraft Java with Your Friends)
Can you make a multiplayer Minecraft server for free?
If you want to create more than two servers or allow more than 10 players, you can buy credits. As an alternative, you can run a free Minecraft server on your personal computer. You can do this for all versions of Minecraft.
How do you make a Minecraft world multiplayer?
Start a LAN game:Click. To make a new world or make changes to an existing one, click the pen icon. Make sure Visible to LAN Players is enabled in Multiplayer by going there. Choose Create or Play to start the world.
Can you play 2 player on Minecraft servers?
A multiplayer server enables the cooperative play of two or more players in Minecraft. You can either download the Minecraft server file you need to set up your own server. net or connect to another person’s server. You must use the same version of Minecraft as the server in order to access it.
How can my friend join my minecraft server?
Invite a Friend Using GamertagsIn Minecraft, select Play. The Realm you want to invite your friend to should have an Edit button next to it. Select the Members button. Choose the Find friends button if you are not friends already. On your Friends list, click the Invite button next to your friend’s gamertag.