The original, mod-friendly “Java” edition of “Minecraft” in particular provides players with almost limitless creative freedom. There are no two identical worlds, so creating a new one can occasionally seem like an overwhelming task.
Fortunately, you dont have to start from scratch. You can download an expert-level Minecraft map and begin playing right away thanks to a kind community eager to share their creations.
Furthermore, these downloadable maps frequently offer more than just templates: they may include challenging puzzles, jump-scare horror, scavenger hunts, multiplayer games, and other activities. Almost any theme and type of map imaginable is available to you as long as the map you download is compatible with the version of Minecraft you are using.
Here’s where to find incredible custom maps and how to include them in your collection of Minecraft worlds that you can play.
Download a world
Before anything else, download your chosen world with a web browser. Some reputable sites to download Minecraft worlds are:
Instructions on how to open the file into minecraft.
- A file archiving program, like 7zip. This is optional if you just change the extension to . mcworld in Bedrock.
- a duplicate of the version you want the world to be in
Bedrock Specific Instructions (Android/Fire OS/iOS/Windows 10) (Recommended)
Immediately following downloading a bedrock map, you ought to have a file name with mcworld in it, like FILE_NAME_HERE. mcworld. It should also have a Minecraft icon in it. It will launch Minecraft automatically if you double-click it. You can easily rename bedrock . zip files to a . mcworld simply by changing the extension. Simply put, MCWORLD is a unique file extension designed for Minecraft Bedrock.
So, instructions are:
- Change the extension to .mcworld if it isnt already.
- Double click the file.
If it didnt automatically open, select Minecraft if asked. If it still doesnt work, follow the guide below.
Java & Bedrock Instructions
These instructions will walk you through the process of adding a world to Minecraft step by step and are compatible with Java and Bedrock.
NOTE that you cannot open Bedrock worlds in Java and vice versa; you will need a converter (such as Chunker) to do that.
Extract the world
This is necessary if you have a compressed file.
- Extract the compressed file.
- If you see a file named level. if that is the case, you’re good to go. Extract the zip/rar to a folder in the world. It might have the files. Extract that folder and give it a respectable name, such as (WORLD).
Importing into Minecraft
Once you extracted it to a folder, follow these steps:
- Open the default directory for Minecraft folder. On Java Edition, the name of the folder is . minecraft. Below is a table showing the default directory for . minecraft.
- On Bedrock Edition, the name of the folder is games/com. mojang. Below is a table listing these:
|Windows (including mobile)||
|Android and Fire OS||For SD Card users:
- Open the saves[Java Edition only] or minecraftWorlds[Bedrock Edition only] folder. You will notice all your worlds are here.
- Paste that folder into the mentioned folder.
- Open the new folder and verify that everything is present and correct under WORLD.
- Once theyre all there, launch the game, and continue below.
Find the folder in Minecraft
Finding your new save among all of your other saves is the difficult part.
- Once Minecraft opens, click “Singleplayer” or “Play”
- The name under the world name (on Java) that is grayed out will be the name of the folder you copied.
- Though it’s not always the case, the new save is typically all the way at the bottom. You might need to do some hunting.
- If it was saved in a different version of Minecraft, you may need to back up the world after finding it.
Here is a clearer explanation in case the above instructions were difficult to understand:
- Download the world file (usually in . zip or . rar) format If it is bedrock map, rename to . mcworld, and then launch Minecraft if this doesn’t work.
- Extract to a new folder (WORLD)
- Find the .minecraft or com.mojang folder
- Look for the
- Copy-paste the (WORLD) to that folder
- Find it in your collection of saved worlds when you open Minecraft.
- To open the run dialog on Windows, press Win R, then paste the Minecraft folder location there.
- The saves folder can also be accessed by dragging and dropping folders, which may save you time from copy-pasting.
- On Bedrock, folder names with jumbled letters like fgEHfhgyEbdh may be present. This is typical, and you can always rename them to make them easier to recognize.
- It is possible to access map datapacks or resource packs by copying the contents of the map to the main folders.
How To Download & Install Minecraft Maps in Minecraft 1.18.1 (PC)
How do I open a downloaded Minecraft world?
Start Minecraft: Java Edition. Access Options Go back to the main menu and then to Singleplayer. Choose Play Selected World after selecting the newly installed world.
How do you open a map in Minecraft?
In order to play, players must have the map in their hotbar. They will have to open it once they are prepared to use it. All players will need to do is right-click the map to open it. As long as the player is holding the map in their hand, it will be opened and show the area around them.
How do I open a downloaded Minecraft map on Mac?
For players who have downloaded the maps in . Players must first download a File Manager from the Playstore. Now open the Download folder and find the . Hold and press on the . Open the mcworld file by choosing the “Open with” option. A list of available programs will appear; select Minecraft.