Players in the game Minecraft have access to and the ability to create something called trapped chests. Trapped chests were officially added in Minecraft 1. 5 and have been updated throughout the years.
Many players might not be aware of trapped chests’ existence because they don’t seem to be very popular. Trapped chests are a great way to prank other players in multiplayer games who try to loot other people’s bases.
Everything a player needs to know about trapped chests, including how to open them and what natural generations do, is provided below.
In woodland mansions, trapped chests spontaneously generate in “fake end portal rooms.”
You can use trapped chests as both containers and redstone components.
Place a block’s face next to the area where the trapped chest should go in order to position it.
Usually, joining two adjacent trapped chests side by side results in a large trapped chest. The player can sneak while placing the second trapped chest [Java Edition only] or position the second trapped chest facing a different direction from the first one to prevent them from joining and instead place two single trapped chests side by side. Alternately, normal chests do not combine with trapped chests (Bedrock and Java editions only).
Trapped chests can be moved by pistons. Water and lava flow around without affecting them [Bedrock Edition only]. The air blocks next to trapped chests can catch fire from lava as if they were flammable, but the chests themselves do not burn (and cannot be burned in any other way either).
Additionally, trapped chests have the ability to activate buried TNT, exploding them, their contents, and any nearby enemies or players. For the TNT to go off, they need to be opened twice.
There are 27 inventory slots in a small trapped chest and 54 slots in a large trapped chest. The top three rows in an enormous trapped chest’s interface represent the western or northern chest block, while the bottom three represent the southern or eastern chest block.
Use the Use Item control to unlock the GUI for the trapped chest. When the GUI for the trapped chest is open, drag or shift-click the items to move them between the player’s inventory and the trapped chest inventory. To exit the trapped chest GUI, use the Esc control.
A trapped chest’s GUI by default is labeled “Chest,” and a large trapped chest’s GUI is labeled “Large Chest.” By giving a trapped chest a custom name in an anvil before placing it or by using the data command (for example, to label a trapped chest at (0,64,0) “Loot!”, use /data merge block 0 64 0 CustomName:”Loot!”), the GUI label of a trapped chest can be changed. If a large trapped chest’s named half is destroyed, the other half reverts to the default label. If the named half of a large trapped chest is renamed, that name is used to label the GUI of the entire large trapped chest. Depending on its orientation (the half with the lowest coordinate in the appropriate axis), the GUI label will use the name of the northern or westernmost half of a large trapped chest if both halves have different names.
By setting the trapped chest’s Lock tag, a trapped chest can be “locked.” If a trapped chest’s Lock tag is not blank, only players who are in possession of an item with the same name as the Lock tag’s text will be able to open it. With the data command, a trapped chest’s Lock tag can be set or unset. Use data merge block 0 64 0 Lock:”Alices Key” for instance to lock a trapped chest at (0,64,0) so that only players possessing an item named “Alices Key” can open the trapped chest.
Redstone component See also:
Players can use trapped chests to track when they access their inventory.
When a player accesses a trapped chest, it becomes active (see above); otherwise, it is inactive. Both halves of a large trapped chest are activated when one of its parts is accessed. A trapped chest cannot be opened or activated by mobs, and items dropped by droppers or hoppers cannot enter or exit a trapped chest.
While active, a trapped chest:
- powers any nearby redstone dust to a level equal to the number of players accessing the trapped chest (maximum 15), including underneath the trapped chest.
- level 15 power is applied to any nearby redstone repeaters that are facing away from the trapped chest.
- strongly propels any completely solid opaque block (such as a block of gold, dirt, or stone). (maximum 15 players) beneath the imprisoned chest to a power level equal to the number of players accessing the imprisoned chest.
- activates any nearby mechanism parts, whether they are above or below, like pistons and redstone lamps. A trapped chest cannot be looted while it is open because hoppers below it are locked by redstone activation.
Redstone comparators facing away from an active trapped chest are not powered. Redstone comparators can determine the trapped chest’s block state, producing a power level that ranges from 0 to 15 according to how full it is. Redstone comparators can be powered normally by anything else that is powered by an active trapped chest, including a block underneath it.
When players open, break, or otherwise interact with trapped chests, piglins become hostile.
Trapped chests can be smelted using furnaces as fuel. 5 items per chest.
To create a “bass” sound, note blocks can be placed underneath trapped chests.
On December 24, 25, and 26, trapped chests and large trapped chests have the same texture change as regular chests, becoming Christmas-themed chests with presents inside.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation distance|
|https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Chest_close1.ogghttps://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Chest_close2.ogghttps://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Chest_close3.ogg||Chest closes||Blocks||When a trapped chest closes||
|https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Chest_open.ogg||Chest opens||Blocks||When a trapped chest opens||
|https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Door_close.ogghttps://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Door_open.ogg||Chest locked||Blocks||When a player attempts to open a trapped chest locked using the Lock tag||
|https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Chest_close1.ogg||Blocks||When a chest closes||
|https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Chest_open.ogg||Blocks||When a chest opens||
|Name||Identifier||Form||Block tags||Translation key|
||Block & Item||
- Blocks Direct Item Form ID, used in add-ons and savegame files
- ↑ Available with
- The block’s ID is shared by the block’s direct item form.
Block statesSee also:
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
||The direction the chests latch is on. Opposite from the direction the player faces when placing a chest.|
||The direction the chest has a connection with.|
||Whether or not theres water in the same place as this chest.|
|Name||Metadata Bits||Default value||Allowed values||Values for Metadata Bits||Description|
||The direction the chests latch is on.
Every trapped chest is connected to a block entity that contains more information about the trapped chest.
- Block entity data Tags that are shared by all block entities CustomName: The JSON text component’s name of this container, which appears in its GUI instead of the default name normally Items: List of items in this container. : An item, including the slot tag. Numbers 0-26 are assigned to chest slots, with 0 starting in the top left corner. Tags common to all items Lock: Optional. When not empty, prevents opening the container unless the opener is holding something with a name that matches this string. LootTable: Optional. When the chest is next opened or the items are used in another way, the loot table will be used to fill it. [note 1] LootTableSeed: Optional. Seed for generating the loot table. 0 or omitted use a random seed. [note 1].
- Once the items have been generated, both loot table tags are removed.
On the bug tracker, problems with “Trapped Chest” are kept up to date. Report issues there.
- When in the inventory, trapped chests render as a full block, but not when they are placed. [Bedrock Edition only].
How To Use The TRAPPED CHEST In Minecraft
How does a trapped chest in Minecraft work?
When a player opens a Trapped Chest, a weak Redstone signal will be released from the block. The Redstone signal will gradually grow as more players look inside the chest. Trapped chests can be used to make traps primarily, but they can also make some cool Redstone creations.